Like the other Algerian universities, Blida 2- Ali Lounici has witnessed important developments which can be summed up as follows:
- It was founded on July 20th, 1977 in the form of a higher education center that opened its doors for students in 1981.
- It was Approved by Executive Decree n° 37-89 of 29th Dhu al-Hijjah 1409 corresponding to August 10th1989 under the name of Blida University -SaadDahlab. It included a number of faculties and institutes in various disciplines of humanities and science.
- In 2013, Blida University was divided into two independent universities: University of Blida 1Saad Dahleb and Blida University 2- Ali Lounici in application of Executive Decree No. 13-163 of 4th Jumada II, 1434 corresponding to April 15th, 2013.